Those of you who have been outside of the U.S. have probably been exposed to copyright infringements. You know, there are the old standards: ripped-off DVDs, fake designer purses and sunglasses, and countless other things. But in our country, they've really outdone themselves.
This picture was taken in the food mall of one of the malls in our city. It just baffles me. (See exhibit A).
First of all, there's the blatancy. I mean, not only are they stealing the name, but they even went so far as to include the chicken picture atop the 'C,' cockscomb and all. The colors, the font, even the hyphen are there. Part of my distrust stems from the fact that I was duped for several seconds before I realized that the folks who invented the chicken sandwich had not really made it to our city yet.
Even more curious though, is that the whole process was even worth the trouble. A quick straw poll I took revealed that 0 out of 13 locals have even heard of Chick-Fil-A. In addition, most couldn't tell you what a chicken fillet was or why one should pay six times more for one than local street food. I appreciated the 'x' they threw in there to throw off the FBI, but I don't know that anyone else picked up on it.
All these offenses might be forgiveable (apologies to Mr. Truett Cathy), if this local joint were able to supply a crispy chicken sandwich like the ones we enjoyed in the States. But again, our friends let us down. The menu features a sad chicken sandwich, and burgers with a distinct local twang, but no waffle fries or hand-made shakes. I think I'll just pick up a falafel instead.
2 comments:
Well, they spelled Fillet different, too! I must say, that makes me laugh. At least you have a choice though. I had to sit through watching Food Channel's Diners, Drive Ins and Dive, and had to see these incredably yummy looking donners and the closest I can GET is Chick-fil-A.
Thanks for your comment... we are getting very close to being able to meet our little guy and can't wait! It's also great to be able to keep up with you guys on your blog... what a tease to think you're going to get the Chick-Fil-A signature sandwich (or at least a decent fake) only to be let down! We think of you guys often :)
Post a Comment