Monday, September 1, 2008

N is married!

Well, I promised to post about N's wedding. However, we weren't able to go to the actual wedding. (It's kinda hard to say which part is the actual wedding here anyway.) What I went to was her party with all her friends and female family members. Sadly, we weren't able to be there for the full three day event.

When I entered the party room (the more formal living room of N's house), there was a stage with two large throne-like chairs on it. This is where my friend, N, sat for almost the entire evening. For Arab women, I've learned that a party means a few things: dancing, more dancing, wearing pretty dresses that they could never wear in front of men, dancing, and more dancing! So, while all the other girls were having a grand ol' time dancing and being silly, she watched from her throne, only coming down to dance twice in the 6 hours the party lasted. Towards the beginning of the party, she asked me to please sit next to her in the other throne for the entire evening!

There were of course some advantages to sitting on the throne. 1) As most of you know, I'm a terrible dancer, period. When it comes to Arab style dancing, I'm REALLY terrbile. I'm pretty sure that I was raised to beleive that this kind of dancing is the unforgivable sin. ;) As much as I try and as much as they make me try, I just can't make my hips move like that! 2) There was a fan pointed directly on the thrones so that N wouldn't sweat so much. (It gets really hot when you fill an already quite warm room with about 60 women at a time for about 6 hours!)
Although, I did give up my throne several times throughout the evening, it was nice to get to sit there with her and watch these ladies have the time of their lives.



I wasn't going to post this picture because I couldn't post N in the picture
with me, but I had to show you the throne! :)



As far as wedding gifts, pretty much everyone gives money. (The families are responsible for furnishing the house.) As the women came into the room, they would come by and greet N (and me, of course, because I'm sitting on the throne!). Some of them brought cards, but most simply had a wadded up tissue in their hands which they in inconspicuously slid to N when they shook her hand. N would then quickly slide the money-filled tissue into her purse.

Something John learned: Although, N and all us ladies were celebrating, the men of the family were not. They explained to John that when a female relative is getting married, the do not celebrate or even smile. They are actually quite somber. They said that it is not a joyous occassion for them because they are losing her. From this point on, she is part of her husband's family. She will live near them, and spend most of her life with them. So, while the groom's family celebrates for almost an entire week, the brides family is sad to see her go.






I'm afraid I can't post any other pictures from the party because all of the girls were uncovered. This is the only appropriate one I took. This is N's mom and grandma, two very sweet ladies I've come to love!

No comments: