Yesterday, I had a cooking lesson with my language teacher. She is by far the best Arab cook I’ve met. Everything she makes is delicious! I asked her to teach me how to make one of my favorite Arab dishes, Maqloobeh, which means “upside down.”
It has this name because the dish is served … you guessed it, upside down!
First of all you fry everything; eggplant, carrots, and the chicken! (I’m sure this is a big part of why it tastes so good!) Then you layer it all in a large pot with fresh tomatoes on the bottom. You pour soaked rice and chicken broth over the top of everything, and then allow it to steam until the rice is cooked. Lastly, you flip the whole thing over onto a large tray. I was a little afraid of this part, so you can see in the picture my teacher did the flipping.
John came and joined us for lunch. It was delicious! We both ate way too much, and of course my teacher still wasn’t satisfied with how much we ate. We had a great time visiting with my dear friend and her family.
I’ll have to post pictures when I attempt the dish by myself at home. I hope I can flip it over without everything ending up on the floor!
3 comments:
mmmm. . .that does look good!
That looks so yummy!! Looks like you had a great time!
That's my favorite too - I'm jealous!
Post a Comment