One of my dear local friends made me my favorite Arabic lunch today, grape leaves! Yum! She wraps rice inside the leaves and then cooks them in a big pot with tomatoes and lamb. It’s delicious!
I was telling her that little James now has taste buds, so it was good that I was eating the grape leaves so he could taste them. She thought that was great and shared with me one of the many Arabic wives’ tales I’ve heard recently. I thought you might all enjoy this one. They believe that if I crave something while I’m pregnant, I must have it immediately! (So far this sounds really good, right?!) If I don’t, James will be born with a birth mark in the shape of that food!! This is an ingenious idea that I’m certain Arab women came up with a very long time ago to get their husbands (and anyone else around) to get them whatever they wanted. Too bad John doesn’t believe it!
I’m very sad to say that if this tale is true, James will have some crazy birth marks, such as: a cherry limeade from Sonic, a taco supreme from Taco Bell, a Chick-fil-A sandwich, just about every kind of Mexican food you can think of, a bowl of Blue Bell’s Rocky Road ice-cream, and probably a big steak! Oh well, we’ll be in America in 13 days and we’ll see if I can’t remedy all of these cravings!!
Kinda strange that we don't see more kids walking around with crazy birthmarks...hmm...
1 comment:
lol. well, they don't have the birthmarks because the pregnant women also eat what they crave.. otherwise you would see them every where! someone told me that my daughter was going to have lot of hair because my belly itched while i was pregnant... like the hair of the baby rubbing the inside of my stomach making it itch.. wivetales.. they are good for a laugh! i hope you get all the goodness you are craving while you are back stateside. :)
Post a Comment